Feedjit

Wednesday 14 November 2012

Future simple, be+ going to, Present Continuous, Future perfect, Future continuous


Future
watch go study have play stay
A Complete the sentences. Use will or won’t and the verbs below.
1 Put on a sweater or you ...................................... cold.
2 Andy ...................... probably ...................... the prize.
3 Don’t ask Andrew. He ...................................... the answer.
4 Let’s have a party. We ...................................... fun.
5 ...................... you ...................... the window, please? It’s very hot in here.
6 There are no clouds in the sky. It ...................................... today, I don’t think.

B Complete the sentences with be going to and the verbs in brackets.
1 I bought some paint yesterday and I ...................................... (paint) my room red.
2 I ...................................... (not go out) tonight. I ...................................... (stay) at home and study.
3 What ...................... you ...................... (do) at the weekend?
4 ...................... you ...................... (use) your bike this afternoon? I want to borrow it.
5 Here are the plans. First, we ...................................... (meet) at Helen’s house, then we
...................................... (see) a film.

C Complete the sentences with the Present Continuous form of the verbs below.
”I can’t meet you until Saturday because I’m very busy this week. On Monday, my mum
1 ...................................... to the theatre and I 2 ...................................... at home with my little
sister. On Tuesday afternoon, I 3 ...................................... basketball. On Wednesday afternoon,
my friends and I 4 ...................................... for a test. On Thursday afternoon, I
5 ...................................... a haircut. On Friday afternoon, I 6 ...................................... my favourite
TV programme.”

D Complete the passage about Nick’s holiday with the words below.

I 1 ......................... going to visit my brother in America next week. We 2 ......................... going
to drive in his jeep and we aren’t going to 3 ......................... until we
arrive at Disneyland. We are 4 ......................... to go on all the rides
there and we are going to 5 ......................... hot dogs, hamburgers,
ice cream and popcorn! I am 6 ......................... to California on Sunday
night and my brother is 7 ......................... me on Monday morning at
the airport. It 8 ......................... be fantastic!
am

Future – Answers
A 1 will be 4 will have
2 will … win 5 Will … open
3 won’t know 6 won’t rain
B 1 am going to paint
2 am not going to go out, am going to stay
3 are … going to do
4 Are … going to use
5 are going to meet, are going to see
C 1 is going 4 are studying
2 am staying 5 am having
3 am playing 6 am watching
D 1 am 5 eat
2 are 6 flying
3 stop 7 meeting
4 going 8 will



will, going to and present continuous



will
We use will to talk about:
·       general predictions.
     By 2100, most people will live to 130.
·       decisions that are made at the moment of speaking (e.g. an offer to do something).
     A: Is that the telephone?
     B: Yes, it is. I’ll answer it.
going to
We use going to to talk about:
·       predictions based on evidence.
     Look at that car! It’s going to crash!
·       intentions, or plans, where the decision has been made before the moment of speaking.
He’s going to study English at Oxford.
Present continuous
We use the present continuous to talk about
future arrangements. We often give the time and/or place.
I’m meeting Anna in town tomorrow.

1   Complete the conversations. Use the correct form of will or going to.
1   ‘I’ve decided to go to university.’
     ‘Really? Which subject ……………… you
     ……………… (study)?’
2   ‘Do you think that computers ……………… (control) our lives in the future?’
     ‘No, of course not!’
3   ‘Why are you wearing a tracksuit?’
     ‘I ……………… (play) tennis in the park
     with David.’
4   ‘It’s very cold in here.’
‘Yes, you’re right. I ……………… (close) the window.’
5   ‘That woman looks very pale.’
     ‘Yes, I think she ……………… (faint).’
6   ‘Why are you turning on the radio?’
     ‘I ……………… (listen) to the news.’
7   ‘I can’t work out this maths problem.’
     ‘I ……………… (help) you with it.’



2   Choose the correct tenses.
1   In a hundred years time I think people will
live / are living
on the moon.
2   Who are you meeting / will you meet
     this evening?
3   ‘What are you going to wear for the party?’
     ‘I haven’t decided yet. Maybe I’ll wear /
     I’m wearing my new jeans.’
4   Greg passed his driving test last week. He told me he’s going to buy / he’ll buy a car.
5   I feel terrible. I think I’ll be / I’m going
     to be sick.
6   ‘Where are you going for your summer holidays?’
‘I don’t know yet. Perhaps I’ll go / I’m going to go to Torremolinos.’

3   Choose the correct tenses.

Hi Pablo!
How are you? A lot has happened since I last wrote. The good news is that I’ve passed all my exams, and 1 I’ll start / I’m starting university in September. 2 I’m going to study / I’ll study Spanish and Catalan at Middlesex University in London, so 3 I’ll be able to / I’m being able to write e-mails in Catalan soon!
I’ve also got a new boyfriend called Matthew.
He’s a year older than me and he’s really nice.
Next week 4 we’ll go / we’re going to a Blur concert in Manchester. Matthew queued for six hours for the tickets!
Unfortunately 5 I’m not seeing / I won’t see Matthew very often after I start university.
6 I’ll probably find / I’m probably finding a
flat in London, and 7 he’ll definitely stay / he’s definitely going to stay in Manchester. But
8 we’re seeing / we’ll see each other at weekends.
9 Are you coming / Will you come and visit me
in London? I hope so.
Love
Clare



Will / Be Going To

Using the words in parentheses, complete the text below with the appropriate tenses.

1. A: Why are you holding a piece of paper?
B: I (write) a letter to my friends back home in Texas.

2. A: I'm about to fall asleep. I need to wake up!
B: I (get) you a cup of coffee. That will wake you up.

3. A: I can't hear the television!
B: I (turn) it up so you can hear it.

4. We are so excited about our trip next month to France. We (visit) Paris, Nice and Grenoble.

5. Sarah (come) to the party. Oliver (be) there as well.

6. Ted: It is so hot in here!
Sarah: I (turn) the air-conditioning on.

7. I think he (be) the next President of the United States.

8. After I graduate, I (attend) medical school and become a doctor. I have wanted to be a doctor all my life.

9. A: Excuse me, I need to talk to someone about our hotel room. I am afraid it is simply too small for four people.
B: That man at the service counter (help) you.

10. As soon as the weather clears up, we (walk) down to the beach and go swimming.

Mark: What are you doing with those scissors?
Beth: I (cut) that picture of the ocean out of the travel magazine.
Mark: What (you, do) with it?
Beth: I (paint) a watercolor of the ocean for my art class, and I thought I could use this photograph as a model.


2.
Mark: (you, do) me a favor, Sam?
Sam: Sure, what do you want me to do?
Mark: I (change) the broken light bulb in the lamp above the dining room table. I need someone to hold the ladder for me while I am up there.
Sam: No problem, I (hold) it for you.

3.
Gina: Where are you going?
Ted: I (go) to the store to pick up some groceries.
Gina: What (you, get) ?
Ted: I (buy) some milk, some bread, and some coffee.

4.
John: Wow, it's freezing out there.
Jane: I (make) some coffee to warm us up. Do you want a piece of pie as well?
John: Coffee sounds great! But I (have) dinner with some friends later, so I'd better skip the pie.
Jane: I (go) to dinner tonight too, but I'm having a piece of pie anyway.

5.
Frank: I heard you're taking a Spanish class at the community college.
Tom: Yeah, I (go) to Guatemala next spring and I thought knowing a little Spanish would make the trip easier.
Frank: I (visit) my brother in Marseilles next year. Maybe I should take a French class.
Tom: I have a course catalog in the other room. I (go) get it, and we can see whether or not they're offering a French course next semester. 





Future perfect simple and future continuous



Future perfect simple and future continuous
Use
We use the future perfect simple to talk about an activity that will be finished by a specific time in the future.
They‘ll have finished building the bridge by
next January.
We use the future continuous to talk about an activity that will be in progress at a specific time in the future.
This time next week I’ll be flying to Rome.
Form
Future perfect simple: we use will + have/has + past participle.
I’ll have finished my homework in an hour.
Future continuous: we use will + be + the -ing form of the verb.
In an hour, I’ll be getting ready to go out.


1   Complete the sentences. Use the correct form of the future perfect simple or the future continuous.
1   This time next week we ……………… (ski) in the French Alps.
2   Greg is taking a year off to travel. By the
end of next year he ……………… (visit) seven countries.
3   ‘What will you be doing this time tomorrow?’
     ‘I ……………… (take) my English exam.’
4   Don’t come round at six o’clock. I
     ……………… (still / do) my homework.
     If you want to come round at seven, you can.
     I ……………… (finish) it by then.
5   Jill has accepted a job abroad. This time next
     month she ……………… (work) in Paris.
6   Next year, I ……………… (live) in this house for ten years.



2   Complete the text. Use the correct form of the future perfect simple or future continuous.
What 1……………… we ……………… (do)
in a hundred years’ time? According to
NASA Scientists we 2……………… (travel)
in outer space. By the twenty-second
century man 3……………… (develop) a
quick way of getting to the stars, and the
first long-distance spaceships 4………………
(leave) Earth.
  However, these spaceships won’t be the
first to explore outer space. Other
spaceships 5……………… (already / voyage)
into the unknown. In fact, the first
unmanned ship, Pioneer 10, was launched
in 1972. Pioneer 10 will be in space for
thousands of years, and in 32,000 years’
time it will pass a star called Ross 248. By
the time Pioneer 10 gets there, man
6……………… (already / reach) Ross 248
and 7……………… (colonize) the planets
around it. What 8……………… these
humans ……………… (do) when Pioneer 10
passes by? Will they remember that it was
the first spaceship to venture into outer
space?

3   Complete the sentences with your own ideas.
1   This time tomorrow I’ll be …………………
     ………………………………………………
2   By next weekend I’ll have …………………
     ………………………………………………
3   In six months’ time I’ll be …………………
     ………………………………………………
4   By the end of this year I’ll have ……………
     ………………………………………………
5   In three years’ time I’ll be …………………
     ………………………………………………
 
 

Simple Future / Future Continuous

Using the words in parentheses, complete the text below with the appropriate tenses.

1.
Sandra: Where is Tim going to meet us?
Marcus: He (wait) for us when our train arrives. I am sure he (stand) on the platform when we pull into the station.
Sandra: And then what?
Marcus: We (pick) Michele up at work and go out to dinner.

2.
Ted: When we get to the party, Jerry (watch) TV, Sam (make) drinks, Beth (dance) by herself, and Thad (complain) about his day at work.
Robin: Maybe, this time they won't be doing the same things.
Ted: I am absolutely positive they (do) the same things; they always do the same things.

3.
Florence: Oh, look at that mountain of dirty dishes! Who (wash) all of those?
Jack: I promise I (do) them when I get home from work.
Florence: Thanks.
Jack: When you get home this evening, that mountain will be gone and nice stacks of sparkling clean dishes (sit) in the cabinets.

4.
Doug: If you need to contact me next week, I (stay) at the Hoffman Hotel.
Nancy: I (call) you if there are any problems.
Doug: This is the first time I have ever been away from the kids.
Nancy: Don't worry, they (be) be fine.

5.
Samantha: Just think, next week at this time, I (lie) on a tropical beach in Maui drinking Mai Tais and eating pineapple.
Darren: While you are luxuriating on the beach, I (stress) out over this marketing project. How are you going to enjoy yourself knowing that I am working so hard?
Samantha: I 'll manage somehow.
Darren: You're terrible. Can't you take me with you?
Samantha: No. But I (send) you a postcard of a beautiful, white sand beach.
Darren: Great, that (make) me feel much better.

Simple Present / Simple Future
Present Continuous / Future Continuous

1. Right now, I am watching TV. Tomorrow at this time, I (watch) TV as well.

2. Tomorrow after school, I (go) to the beach.

3. I am going on a dream vacation to Tahiti. While you (do) paperwork and (talk) to annoying customers on the phone, I (lie) on a sunny, tropical beach. Are you jealous?

4. We (hide) when Tony (arrive) at his surprise party. As soon as he opens the door, we (jump) out and (scream) , "Surprise!"

5. We work out at the fitness center every day after work. If you (come) over while we (work) out, we will not be able to let you into the house. Just to be safe, we (leave) a key under the welcome mat so you will not have to wait outside.

6. While you (study) at home, Magda (be) in class.

7. When I (get) to the party, Sally and Doug (dance) , John (make) drinks, Sue and Frank (discuss) something controversial, and Mary (complain) about something unimportant. They are always doing the same things. They are so predictable.

8. When you (get) off the plane, I (wait) for you.

9. I am sick of rain and bad weather! Hopefully, when we (wake) up tomorrow morning, the sun (shine) .

10. If you (need) to contact me sometime next week, I (stay) at the Sheraton in San Francisco.

Fill in the verbs in brackets in the Future Perfect.

Example: He ______________ the suitcase by tomorrow. (to pack)

Answer: He will have packed the suitcase by tomorrow.
1) Anne her bike next week. (to repair)
2) We the washing by 8 o'clock. (to do)
3) She Paris by the end of next year. (to visit)
4) I this by 6 o'clock. (to finish)
5) Sam by next week. (to leave)
6) She this with her mother tonight. (to discuss)
7) The police the driver. (to arrest)
8) They their essay by tomorrow. (to write)
9) Paolo the teams. (to manage)
10) If we can do that - then we our mission. (to fulfill)



Will / Be Going To

Using the words in parentheses, complete the text below with the appropriate tenses.

1. A: Why are you holding a piece of paper?
B: I (write) a letter to my friends back home in Texas.

2. A: I'm about to fall asleep. I need to wake up!
B: I (get) you a cup of coffee. That will wake you up.

3. A: I can't hear the television!
B: I (turn) it up so you can hear it.

4. We are so excited about our trip next month to France. We (visit) Paris, Nice and Grenoble.

5. Sarah (come) to the party. Oliver (be) there as well.

6. Ted: It is so hot in here!
Sarah: I (turn) the air-conditioning on.

7. I think he (be) the next President of the United States.

8. After I graduate, I (attend) medical school and become a doctor. I have wanted to be a doctor all my life.

9. A: Excuse me, I need to talk to someone about our hotel room. I am afraid it is simply too small for four people.
B: That man at the service counter (help) you.

10. As soon as the weather clears up, we (walk) down to the beach and go swimming.

Mark: What are you doing with those scissors?
Beth: I (cut) that picture of the ocean out of the travel magazine.
Mark: What (you, do) with it?
Beth: I (paint) a watercolor of the ocean for my art class, and I thought I could use this photograph as a model.


2.
Mark: (you, do) me a favor, Sam?
Sam: Sure, what do you want me to do?
Mark: I (change) the broken light bulb in the lamp above the dining room table. I need someone to hold the ladder for me while I am up there.
Sam: No problem, I (hold) it for you.

3.
Gina: Where are you going?
Ted: I (go) to the store to pick up some groceries.
Gina: What (you, get) ?
Ted: I (buy) some milk, some bread, and some coffee.

4.
John: Wow, it's freezing out there.
Jane: I (make) some coffee to warm us up. Do you want a piece of pie as well?
John: Coffee sounds great! But I (have) dinner with some friends later, so I'd better skip the pie.
Jane: I (go) to dinner tonight too, but I'm having a piece of pie anyway.

5.
Frank: I heard you're taking a Spanish class at the community college.
Tom: Yeah, I (go) to Guatemala next spring and I thought knowing a little Spanish would make the trip easier.
Frank: I (visit) my brother in Marseilles next year. Maybe I should take a French class.
Tom: I have a course catalog in the other room. I (go) get it, and we can see whether or not they're offering a French course next semester.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment